Thursday, October 30, 2008

Our Matriarch

This evening, the family will gather to pay our respects to the life of Kathryn T. DeMars, who passed away on Tuesday, October 28, 2008.  Mom was 88 years old.  She is finally at peace after nearly three years of battling alzheimers, pneumonia, hip fractures and steadily declining health.  Mom wanted a traditional funeral.  This evening visitation will be from 6-8 PM at Memorial Gardens Funeral Home.  Tomorrow at 10:00 AM will be a Catholic Mass at St. Cecelia's, followed by burial at Memorial Gardens.  I've never had to go through this process before... buying a casket, a cemetary plot, a grave stone, picking out an outfit, prayer book and cards, writing an obit, selecting prayer readings and hymns...
Tuesday evening, brother Ken arrived from New York; yesterday, my two eldest sisters arrived from Columbus OH, last night brother from the east coast of FL arrived with his kids, and this morning brother from PA arrives. It's a command performance. The last time all the siblings were together was July 1997, when dad passed away.

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

((((((((((((( Michelle ))))))))))))
I am sorry to hear of your loss and glad that she has gone to what I feel is a far better place. I know how gruelling this time has been for you to some degree. I'm so glad you will be able to celebrate her life with your family. I bet that's a serviceher spirit won't miss and it gives her yet another opportunity to bring her family close together and enjoy one another and your reminiscences of your shared life. Peace and Love to you Michelle. You did well.
With Love, LeAnn

Roderick said...

My deepest condolences my dear friend. With Love, Rod