Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Greetings from Glacier Bay National Park

Hi
I thought I'd pay the .75 cents / minute for internet to drop a note - little did I know it'd take fifteen minutes to log in..
We're cruising Glacier Bay National Park. It's very foggy right now, but we'll be crusing all day, so there's hope that visibilty will improve as the day progresses.
So far the trip's been pretty good. Denali Backcountry Lodge was awesome! It was all I hoped it would be. We saw "The Mountain" "The High One" "Denali" - Had spectacular views and I got some good shots. They say only 30% of the visitors see the mountain - and then theres statistics about late July - early August that are even slimmer - like 3%.
College Fijord was fantastic. Thanks to brother Ken for the advice on being sure to get up early to see it. I went to bed about 2:00 AM Sunday nite (Monday AM) so getitng up at 5:30 to catch the view at 6:00 AM took incentive and determination. It was more than well worth it.
I'm not convinced that cruising is all others say it is. Today's only Tuesday, so maybe HAL can/will redeem themselves. I went to the dining room for dinner last night at 6:00 PM. It was nearly 8:30 when I was seated - well after every single other guest came in - reservations or not. I sent a very direct note to the Guest Relations Manager. How difficult is it to find a seat for a solo traveler? I'd've sat with the help, at that point. Consequently, I missed the meet and greet with the captain , the 8:00 Broadway show, and the start of the movie. I ended up listening to some very bad karaoke.
My blackberry's not working - no Verizon on the horizon.
Alaska is absolutely fabulous. I'm surprised at the similarities between the Hawaiian people and the Tlingit/ Chilkat/ Aleutians. I'm learning a lot about culture, natural resources, environment etc. Wonderful, Wonderful trip.
Love to You!
Michelle

1 comment:

Roderick said...

A stunningly beautiful country you are wandering!