Sunday, February 1, 2009

crackers

I have heard the term, "cracker" in reference to people who are native Floridians. The term comes from cattle prods that when used, would make a 'crack'ing sound. How Florida cracker comes to mean native I"m not sure, but it's rather common knowledge that a cracker is a [florida ] native. My daughters - 21 and 19 - are both crackers. It shouldn't have been a surprise to me to hear Sarah telling about her trip to Georgia and North Carolina this past week, she just returned last night. She was telling me that she was driving along the highway with her boyfriend - also a cracker - and she was puzzled by what was in the air. She asked, "What are they, no see-ums?" then she said, "wait...isn't it too cold for bugs?" and then she realized that what she was seeing was snow flurries.

No comments: