Friday, April 17, 2009

Island life

A fast and furious week. Saturday found me at the beach with family - brother from the East coast with his kids. Neighbors gathered for sunset, then we headed up to my other brother's house for a lite supper of burgers and fries. I got home around 11:00 PM and began marinating two 7 lb. legs of lamb, peeling 10 lbs of spuds, etc. Sunday morning had me crawling out of bed as early as I could to get the food in the oven, steam the green beans, customizing a box and disposable serving dishes, and finishing the strawberry cream cake to take for my dinner.

We had a miscommunication. No one was home at my friends' house, no one was at her store (understandable on Easter) and no one answered cell phones. I returned home, put the food in the fridge, and headed out to my dinner at my brother's. It was a great day. NJ and MA are terrific hosts. I got home around 8 PM and called my friends again. Still no contact. I divided the food and gave half to Sarah and half to Lauren. They of course were thrilled. I felt badly that we miscommunicated.

Monday was a rough day at work. I was admittedly grumpy. Maybe too much weekend and/or not enough of my own personal quiet time. On Saturday at the beach my BB Storm got wet - it worked, but not properly. Fortunately, I had insurance. Called and made the claim. $50 deductable. (ouch).

Tax day loomed like a very dark cloud. Monday night I sat down and pulled out all the papers. Of course Gracie was fit to be tied: She'd been "home alone" much of the weekend, and of course all day Monday while at work. Now, here I was on the computer and she wanted to play. After several hours, when all was said and done, I was relieved - almost thrilled. I anticipated having to pay hugely. Instead, I get $1100. returned. Phew....

Tuesday and Wednesday were rather innocuous, except for the expected irritation that goes with my job. Wednesday evening, I was pleased with myself for having filed my taxes (with a return!) and managed to overcome the hurdles my elected officials unwittingly threw my way.
With those haunting tasks behind me, I jumped in and washed dishes ( i hate washing dishes and don't have a dishwasher - but really, Michelle - enough is enough!). With a sparklingly clean kitchen, I jumped in the shower for a long hot shampoo and shower. I gave myself a home foot soaking pedicure. It sure felt good.

At about 10:50 on Wednesday evening, my cell phone rang. (My cell phone rarely rings, particularly at this hour of the night). It was my boss. He was on his way up to the square. We'd had a massive water main break, and had to shut down the water distribution system island-wide. Would I call the media. (This is difficult because I am reporting without first-hand information). Within 30 minutes, the media had a reporter and camera crew in the square and had the boss on the 11:00 news. (I sure was glad I got the replacement cell phone or I'd've been in big trouble). Nearly 2 hours later, I crawled in to bed.

Thursday morning began with my cell phone ringing at about 5:30 am. It was the public works director. Would I call the beach school, would I call the health department, would I update the website with the boil water notice. The race was on. I threw on some clothes and brushed my teeth with bottled water. Boy was I glad I'd washed dishes and showered the night before!

I got in to the office and updated the phone message, the website, ordered portalets for town hall and put the TV on in my office. The local NBC affiliate was all over the story. In emergency situations, my job description changes, to inlcude stroking the boss's ego: "you looked good on Tv" "Good Job." I usually take lunch at 1:00 PM, so I left the office and went over to the local supermaket and picked up a couple of frozen dinners and several gallons of bottled water. At about 2:30 I sent a message saying I would not be returning that afternoon. I felt like I was running a fever. I closed the drapes, unfolded the quilt, propped up my feet and closed my eyes. Gracie wasn't compassionate, to say the least. She demanded attention.

About 9:00 in the evening i crawled into bed with a book by Deepak Chopra, a bottle of evian and a thermometer. I had a low-grade fever of 100. I read for awhile and then shut the lights. Gracie got up and peed the rug at about 3:30 in the morning (GRRRR....). I cleaned and deodorized, cursed and growled and went back to bed. As morning came and the sun rose, I took my temperature again. Still a fever. I called in sick.

My chest feels like an elephant is sitting on it. Several co-workers have had this "crud" for some time now. I guess it's my turn. Pisses me off, because I've been very healthy. I HATE being sick. This crud better be gone when I open my eyes tomorrow morning.

I look forward to some time when I can write creatively, when I can devote time to things I love, when I can enjoy spring in southwest florida, take my dog for a long walk, take my kayak out... Live!

It's been a rough week... I hope yours has been better...

No comments: