Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Three weeks and counting - day 1

Today is Tuesday, 7.7.09. Three weeks from today I fly out of Southwest Regional Airport, into Miami International Airport for a 6-hour flight into Seattle, WA, then Alaska Airlines to Anchorage and then on to Fairbanks. A courtesy vehicle will pick me up from AAC and take me to the Alpine Lodge for the night.

The next morning, very early, I'll board the Alaskan Railroad to the entrance to Denali National Park.There in the care of the hosts, I'll leave my extra luggage, and transport to the bus that will take me deep into the heart of Alaska - into Denali National Park, into Kantishna - by Wonder Lake.
http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/denacam/denacam.cfm


We'll arrive at supper time, about 7 or 8 PM. We'll check in to our cedar rustic cabins, only to return to the main lodge for family style dinner. Here is where I'll plan the next few days: fly fishing, mountain biking, naturalists' tours, or gold panning - or relaxing.
I am very excited about being so remote - by myself - yet safe. No phones, no TVs, and 23 hours of daylight!
Come along with me, my friends, on this journey. I know the trip is 3 weeks away, but the planning is underway. Today I booked my "shore excursion" from the cruise ship in Juneau. I booked the Mendenhall Glacier Tour and Salmon Bake! Wikipedia rocks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendenhall_Glacier
I am yet to book other excursions in Haines and Ketchikan - and then in to port in Vancouver.
Exciting times, these next few weeks!!

No comments: