Wednesday, July 9, 2008

..and in the end

Fifteen hours later, I look back at the accuracy of my "prediction." Of course today was a great day! We are remodeling administrative offices, so we have drywall dust and cables and conduits hanging and bare floors.  Last night, the guys moved the A/C thermostat, and there was no A/C until nearly 3:00 this afternoon. I customarily dress in lightweigh cotton and sandals and bring a sweater. It's usually so cold in the offices.  So when I pulled up front this morning, and a co-worker who was standing outside smoking, scowled, "The air's out" I secretly said "hurray!"  I mused at the various co-workers who reported, "..and they said it's going to hit 95 degrees today!"  I thought, that's why I don't listen to that stuff.  I felt sorry for one fella who is pushing 60 years, is about 6'4" and weighs an easy 280 lbs.  He's been with the Town for 2 years, coming to work with us just a few short years after open heart surgery.  He wears boots that lace up past his ankles, long pants, an undershirt and an overshirt.  He also feels the need to take charge in the day-to-day office operations ( I affectionately refer to him as "mother").  With the construction and the A/C out, he was sweating profusely.  I found it an interesting study in human behavior.  It also gives an intersting outlook as to who can be calm and functional in the event of a hurricane.   2005's Wilma had most residents without electricity for 8 and 9 days, and  2004's Charley had many without electricity for almost as long.

I had some serious deadline stuff, and ran into obstacles that should have been frustrating.  But i wouldn't allow it.  I stayed focused, and things went smoothly.  I did, however do without breakfast or lunch, sustaining on coffee throughout the morning, and a handful of pretzels in the afternoon.  It is rare that I do that.  I don't function well like that.  I guess it showed, because I got home from work about 6:30. I sat down to read the mail, and I started dozing off.  I must have snoozed lightly, but steadily for 30 minutes.  I can't tell you the last time I did that!  When I shook my head clear, I fixed a dish of macaroni salad I had, poured a lemonade and pulled out some homework.

It's nearly 'lights-out" time, and i feel good about today.  Not strongly productive in any particular sense, but very rewarding in that I managed to maintain a joyful day! And I think I was able to inspire others to "look for the good".  I look forward to tonight's dreams, deep rest, and opening my eyes to yet another joyful day tomorrow!



No comments: