Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Work in Progress

I slipped into bed last night, early for me, with the intention to read. I found myself deep in sleep, when Gracie alerted me to someone at the door. I looked at my cell phone: it was 11:30 pm. Gracie ran to the door and I heard a key in the lock, and knew it was Lauren and bf coming home. I fell out of my room, half in my robe, and asked Lauren to take Gracie out. You come in and stir her up, you need to take her out, I said. I turned off my bed lamps and quickly fell back to sleep.
Somewhere in the middle of the night, Gracie reared up, alerted to some outside noise. I listened and paid attention, but didn't move (movement gives Gracie reason). She ran to the door, as the key was turned again. It was Lauren and Kevin, again, and it was 4:30 AM. I listened as they visited the kitchen and bathroom, and heard one of them take Gracie out. Good. I don't have to get up.
I woke feeling rested, in spite of the nite's disturbances. I made a conscious decision to make a conscious effort to make this a good day. I lay in bed half in and half out of consciousness, hitting the snooze on the alarm. I ran over the duties of the upcoming day. I had a list of "have to's"... and I absentmindedly priortized them as I lay in bed. I got up, showered, dressed and headed out to work.
The morning worked according to plan, systematically accomplishing the "to do's". I had an appointment with the boss right after lunch to go over my 2010 budget. It went WAY better than expected. Of course when we came to the travel and training line item, he said, "Good luck with that" and when I asked to add another position, he said, "how about we try, [this] first."
I was somewhat nervous/stressed about this budget session, but it went well. I had the ear of the boss in a way I'd not had in a year. He was sympathetic to my workload and lack of personnel. All in all, it went good.
I had some fresh strawberries that I cleaned last night, so I added a good shot of tequila with them in the blender, made some shrimp/jambalaya and watched jeopardy.
A good ending to a good day.

No comments: