Thursday, January 8, 2009

Please don’t let me be misunderstood

To the editor:

I would like to share a recent experience of mine as a reminder to all to use caution when making assumptions.

Last night I took my five month old pup, Gracie, for a walk on the beach. As we approached one of the busier areas of the beach, I saw up ahead two dogs roaming at large. Not wanting to endanger my pup, I stopped right where I was and waited to see whether the human companions would restrain these dogs.

I was about 10 or 12 feet from the water’s edge. Gracie began digging enthusiastically. Passers-by quipped that “she must have found something good.” When I saw that the humans had restrained these dogs and it was time to move on, I also saw that Gracie had managed to dig a hole about 6 – 8 inches deep. This looked like a sure ankle-twister, so I used the side of my foot to push the sand back in to the hole. As I was doing this, a woman walked by and said, “You are supposed to clean that up.” She continued walking despite my willingness to explain.

Things aren’t always as they seem.

Michelle Mayher
Fort Myers Beach

No comments: